Dietitian's tip: Canned pumpkin puree is available all year. When pumpkins are in season, however, you can make your own puree by roasting a small pie pumpkin and processing the flesh in a blender or food processor.
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green onion top, chopped
In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup water over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Don't let onion dry out.
Add remaining water, pumpkin, broth, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the milk and cook until hot. Don't boil.
Ladle soup into warmed bowls and garnish with black pepper and green onion tops. Serve immediately.