Dietitian's tip: English cucumbers, also referred to as "burpless" cucumbers, tend to be long and narrow and have a mild taste. Though the English cucumber works best in this recipe, you can use any variety of cucumber.
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 English cucumber with peel, washed and thinly sliced
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
In a small saucepan, add the rosemary, vinegar and olive oil. Heat over very low heat to blend and intensify the flavors, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the mustard until well blended.
In a serving bowl, add the cucumber slices. Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and toss to coat evenly. Add the black pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.