Dietitian's tip: These broiled, open-faced sandwiches are great options for a quick lunch or light dinner. Instead of ham, substitute thinly sliced roasted turkey or beef for a lower-sodium alternative.
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 slices rye bread
- 4 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 2 slices red onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained and patted dry
- 2 ounces low-fat Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
Preheat the broiler. Position the rack 4 inches from the heat source. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and mustard. Place the slices of bread on the prepared baking sheet. Spread half of the mayonnaise mixture on each slice. Top each with 2 ounces ham, 1 slice onion, 1/2 of the mushrooms and 1 ounce cheese. Broil the open-faced sandwiches until the cheese is melted and slightly browned, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.