Dietitian's tip: This Italian favorite has less fat and calories, but all of the taste. Using low-fat cheeses and extra-lean ground beef saves 100 calories and 10 grams of fat per serving.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (6 ounces) unsalted tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsalted tomato sauce
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 pound uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 3 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly coat a 9-by-13 pan with cooking spray.
To make the sauce, in a large saucepan combine the ground beef and onion. Cook over medium heat until the ground beef is browned and onion is translucent. Drain well. Add the basil, oregano, garlic powder, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water. Stir to mix evenly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Put 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover with a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the remaining sauce, 1/3 cup cottage cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat until the ingredients are used up. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the noodles are soft and the cheese is lightly browned, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.