Dietitian's tip: Any brown rice works in this recipe, but darker toned Wehani looks particularly good. Invest in the pistachio oil if you can. Its flavor is so intense that just a bit makes this light side dish taste incredibly rich.
- 1 1/8 cups dark brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads or ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pistachio oil or canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
In a saucepan over high heat, combine the rice, water, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the saffron. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and keep warm.
In a small bowl, combine the orange zest and juice, oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk to blend. Pour the orange mixture over the warm rice. Add the nuts and apricots and toss gently to mix and coat. Serve immediately.