Dietitian's tip: Grilling the vegetables helps intensify the flavors. This recipe may be served warm or cold.
- 1 bulb garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 2 eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 rounds of flatbread or pita
Prepare grill by spraying cold grill with cooking spray.
Slice top off garlic bulb, wrap in foil and place on cooler part of grill. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes. On hot part of grill, place eggplant slices and bell pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes a side.
Squeeze roasted garlic out of bulb and place in food processor. Add grilled eggplant and red bell pepper. Add lemon juice, basil, pepper and olive oil. Pulse until smooth. Place dip in serving bowl.
Warm bread on grill for a few seconds on each side. Serve with dip.