Dietitian's tip: If you can't find Fresno peppers, you can substitute jalapeno peppers in this recipe.
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 Fresno peppers, diced
- 2 quarts crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans (no salt added; if canned, rinse under water)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oregano
In a stockpot over low heat, cook onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in 2 tablespoons of water until onions become translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. If chili becomes too thick, thin with a little water.