Dietitian's tip: Buy fresh Brussels sprouts that are bright green and heavy for their size. In this recipe, quickly caramelized shallots add a sweet note to these miniature members of the cabbage family.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until soft and lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in the 1/8 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
In the same frying pan, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and saute until they begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until the Brussels sprouts are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Return the shallots to the pan. Stir in the lemon zest and juice, and the pepper. Serve immediately.