Dietitian's tip: This lower fat version of macaroni and cheese gets its creamy texture and full flavor from pureed vegetables.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons light soy milk
- 2 tablespoons wheat flour
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces (dry weight) whole-wheat macaroni
Add oil to a large skillet and over medium-low heat slowly cook onion, celery, carrot, garlic, cauliflower and squash. Continue cooking until onions become translucent. Add broth and bring to boil.
Use a blender to puree in batches until completely smooth. Be careful with the hot vegetables and make sure to not overfill the blender. Return to heat and keep at simmer.
In a separate large skillet, combine soy milk and flour. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add hot vegetable puree, whisking constantly with wire whip. Bring to simmer.
Add 2 ounces grated Parmesan and 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Turn off heat and stir until cheese is melted.
Cook macaroni according to directions on package. Drain and combine with sauce. Serve on warmed plates.