Dietitian's tip: Ground flaxseed keeps this bread moist.
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup ground millet meal
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, crushed
- 2 tablespoons wheat gluten
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk or skim milk
- 2 egg whites
Preheat oven to 350 F. Sift together dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, combine milk and egg whites. Mix well. Add milk and egg mixture to dry ingredients. Mix until well moistened.
Form in loaf pan (5 inch by 8 inch) and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Test for doneness with skewer.