Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network have designated Sparrow as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement. The Blue Distinction program recognizes hospitals that demonstrate higher levels of performance in providing better care for patients.
The selection criteria used to evaluate facilities were developed with input from a panel of expert physicians. To be designated as a Blue Distinction Center, the following types of criteria were evaluated:
- Established acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency care, and a full range of patient support services with full accreditation by a CMS-deemed national accreditation organization
- Experience and training of program surgeons, including case volume
- Quality management programs, including surgical checklists, as well as tracking and evaluation of clinical outcomes and process of care
- Multi-disciplinary clinical pathways and teams to coordinate and streamline care, including transitions of care
- Shared decision-making and preoperative patient education
Blue Distinction puts a high value on research and evidence-based health and medical information. The designation shows that Sparrow meets stringent quality standards and delivers better overall outcomes in patient care.