Quality of care and patient experience go hand in hand. Every Physician, Nurse, Staff Member, and Volunteer at Sparrow works to make each patient's experience the best it can be. But no one has more frequent interactions with patients—and more opportunity to affect the patient's experience—than our nurses.
In 2009, Sparrow's nearly 1,800 nurses were recognized for their loyalty to their patients and commitment to excellence. Sparrow earned Magnet® status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), a national award honoring nursing excellence. America has nearly 6,000 hospitals and Magnet status is given to only about six percent of them.
Achieving this recognition is no easy feat—the change process began back in 2005 with rigorous preparation and an on-site appraisal. After the review process was complete, Sparrow was granted the honor by a unanimous vote.
Patients can rely upon Magnet hospitals to offer quality care and nursing excellence. Mid-Michigan residents can be assured that they will receive only the best nursing care.
Sparrow's Quality Shows
2009 awards and recognitions
- Magnet recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center for excellence in nursing care.
- Hospital Award of Volunteer Excellence by the American Hospital Association.
- Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence designation from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
- Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
- Blue Distinction Cardiac Center of Excellence designation from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
- Program Laureate Information Technology award from Computerworld magazine for exemplary use of information technology to benefit society.
- Organ Donation Medal of Honor from the United States Department of Health and Human Services for continued success in raising organ donation rates.
- Outcome Concept Systems' Vision Award for Sparrow Home Care recognizing improvement of quality of care and reduction of readmission to the hospital.
- Michigan Quality Council Honor Roll for Sparrow Hospital
- Michigan Quality Leadership Award for Sparrow Regional Medical Supply from the Michigan Quality Council.
- Quality Oncology Practice Initiative certification for Sparrow's Cancer Center from the American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Consumer Choice Award from the National Research Corporation.
- Employer of the Year award by Capital Area Michigan Works for participation in their healthcare scholarship program.
- Gold Performance Achievement Award from the American College of Cardiology Foundation.