Across the nation, children’s health and fitness is at risk. The average child spends too much time in front of a TV and drinks too much soda and not enough milk and water.
It’s time to get moving and get active! That’s what the Feelin’ Good ® Mileage Club ® is all about.
Here are some other ideas:
- Limit TV time and get kids moving.
- Be prepared to offer alternative activities to TV or video games, like shooting hoops or going for a bike ride.
- Be active with your kids. You are their role model for an active lifestyle.
- Don’t position your TV as the main focus of the room. Remove TVs from bedrooms and don’t use television as a reward or punishment.
- Ways to get non-athletes physically active: Some children are embarrassed to participate in sports because they don’t think they’re good enough. Practice with them to build their confidence.
- Try new things to find an activity they love, such as horseback riding, dancing and skateboarding. It doesn't have to look like exercise to offer health benefits.
- Practice heart-healthy habits: Plan family outings that involve vigorous activities such as hiking and biking.
- Give your child household chores that require physical exertion like mowing the lawn or raking leaves.
- Going somewhere close? Walk or bike rather than drive.