Click here to learn more about the free Surgery Orientation Program conducted by Child Life specialists for children age 3 and older who are scheduled for surgery at Sparrow.
Pre-Surgical Telephone Interview
A telephone interview with a nurse is required 3-4 days
prior to surgery to obtain medical history and other pertinent information.
Please have ready for the interview:
- a list of all medications the patient is taking
- insurance information
- patient's address and phone number
Call 517.364.4412 between 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday for the interview. If you get voice mail, please leave a
message with your name, phone number and the best time of day to reach you
(preferably between 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.).
If you are a foster parent or a grandparent and the
child is involved in the court system, please let the phone nurse know so she
can tell you what papers to bring with you on the day of surgery.
Patients should obtain an order for lab work from
their surgeon and go to a Sparrow lab 2-14 days prior to surgery. This helps
reduce last-minute surgery cancellations due to abnormal lab results.
If you have questions, please call Admission Orders
NPO (Nothing by Mouth) Guidelines from the Sparrow
- Less than 3 years of age - No solids after midnight; may have milk/formula up to 6 hours prior to surgery.
- More than 3 years of age - No solids after midnight the day of surgery.
Water, plain Jell-O, clear broth; juices: apple,
grape, cranberry. No pop or carbonated fluids.
- Newborn to 6 months - stop 2 hours prior to surgery
- 6 months to 3 years - stop 3 hours prior to surgery
- More than 3 years - stop 4 hours prior to surgery