Monday, August 26, 2013
Sparrow, MSU Physicians’ study getting national attention
A study performed by a group of Sparrow and Michigan State University Physicians is getting national attention.
David Betten, MD, a medical toxicologist in the Department of Emergency Medicine, was interviewed for a NPR story about the study, which evaluated the risks of burning different types fuel with backpacking stoves inside three- and four- season tents.
Dr. Betten, along with Sparrow and Michigan State University Physicians David J. Castle, DO, Lee L. Bales, MD, and Mary J. Hughes, DO, conducted the study, which warned campers to avoid burning camping stoves inside tents to avoid the buildup of poisonous carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to headaches, dizziness, loss of consciousness and even death.
Click here to read NPR’s story.