Sparrow Sports Medicine Licensed Athletic Trainers (AT) provide a number of services designed to keep high school and local community athletes healthy and performing at their highest ability.
If and when an injury does occur, Sparrow’s Athletic Trainers provide on-site immediate care, enhancing the speed of treatment. The highest standards are placed on treatment and recovery of the athlete by providing an industry leading best practices approach and working with Sparrow-affiliated orthopedic surgeons.
Sparrow Health System is recognized by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education for Certified Athletic Trainers.
What does a Sparrow Athletic Trainer do?
- Observation of athletic activities and correction of hazardous techniques
- Athlete education (concussions, weight training, kinematics, nutrition, hydration, etc.)
- Appropriate orthopedic testing to evaluate musculoskeletal /trauma injuries to form a clinical impression and treatment of the injury
- Emergency care in potential life-threatening situations
- First Responder/First Aid/ CPR/AED/Healthcare Provider Certified
- Treat injuries appropriately based upon current Athletic Training and Orthopedic best practice standards based upon a clinical impression
- Communicate clearly with parents, coaches, and the Athletic Director as needed, the expectations of treatment outcomes of the injury
- Perform taping/bracing/padding applications as required for injury stabilization/protection if return to play is deemed appropriate, taking necessary precautions to ensure the highest level of safety for the student/athlete
- Facilitate or discuss referral processes such as Physician follow up or Emergency Medical Services (EMS) activation and student athlete stabilization until EMS arrives
- Short Term rehabilitation programs are conducted according to current orthopedic and Athletic Training industry standards in house under direct supervision with functional progression until return to full activity.
- Athletic Trainers work closely with Sparrow Physical Therapists to develop rehabilitation programs that target the specific needs of the athlete.
If you are interested in learning more about Athletic Trainers or the profession please visit the National Athletic Trainers Association.
Athletic Participation (Sports) Physicals
Organization of athletic participation physicals with Sparrow-affiliated physicians hosted once annually at the school and staffed by Sparrow Athletic Trainers.
Sparrow Athletic Trainers staff your organization’s athletic training room during practice sessions. The primary purpose is to provide preventive, evaluation, and management of injuries.
Sporting Event and Tournament Coverage
Provide on-site staffing of all regularly scheduled home games, away Varsity football, and other away events as requested in advance by the school’s athletic director. This includes athlete preparation, taping, hydration set-up, first aid, injury assessment, and treatment.