Behavioral Health Centralized Access Services (CAS)
The Centralized Access Services (CAS), is the centralized intake department for Behavioral health services. We are located within the Sparrow Hospital emergency room and can help facilitate admissions to our Adult Psychiatric, or Geriatric Psychiatric units or one of our outpatient programs for either mental health or substance abuse services. We have a partial hospital day treatment program as well as outpatient substance abuse services such as Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) for those handling active addiction and an Intensive Recovery Prevention Group (IRPG) for those seeking help to maintain to their recovery.
The CAS team is dedicated to providing high-quality evaluations for our entire continuum of care. The service provides the community with reliable, professional triage, and assessment by Mental Health professionals.
Services provided by CAS include:
• Mental health evaluations of persons presenting to the Emergency Department here at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing
• Expert assessment and recommendation to help you determine your next steps in treatment options
• Clinical telephone triage and response
• Inquiries about inpatient care, outpatient care, and community services
• Psychiatric consultation for patients admitted to the medical center at Sparrow
• Insurance precertification and authorization for mental health services within Sparrow
• Intake services for outside providers looking to admit persons experiencing a mental health crisis.
Anyone with mental health questions is encouraged to contact the CAS at 1.800.761.9384. The CAS is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, year-round.
What to expect if you come to the Emergency Department (ED)
The mental health evaluations in the ED are completed by licensed clinical Mental Health Therapist from the CAS team. Our goal is to evaluate patients with an immediate crisis and recommend an appropriate level of care and resources. When arriving in the ED, please mention you need a mental health evaluation.