LANSING, MI – Longtime Volunteer and community leader Zoe Slagle of East Lansing was recognized today with Sparrow’s highest honor, the 2017 Sparrow Founders’ Award.
Slagle has served Sparrow for nearly 20 years in roles ranging from President of the Women’s Board of Managers and the Sparrow Women’s Association to membership on the Sparrow Board of Directors and Sparrow Foundation Board. She has been instrumental in raising awareness of the tremendous impact that Volunteers have at the hospital.
Since beginning her service to Sparrow in 1999 as a Volunteer Escort, her achievements have included helping to facilitate the 100th year celebration of Edward W. Sparrow’s donation of the building on Michigan Avenue for Sparrow Hospital.
Prior to her Volunteer work at Sparrow, Slagle had an accomplished career in food service operations and public education and is a member of Michigan State University’s Hospitality Business Hall of Fame.
Sparrow is honored to present Slagle with the 22nd Founders’ Award for her Volunteerism and service to the mid-Michigan region.
Today’s Founders’ Day celebration marks Sparrow’s 121st year of service to the region. Sparrow was founded in 1896 by a group of 114 female Volunteers as the Lansing Women’s Hospital. In 1912, the new hospital was built at the current site at 1215 E. Michigan Avenue.
Past recipients of the award are:
- Business leaders and Philanthropists Al and Jan Granger
- Lansing businessman Dick Iding
- Patrick Gribben, Jr.*, former CEO of Delta Dental and member of the Sparrow Hospital/Health System and Physicians Health Plan Boards
- Longtime Volunteer Mary Jane (McClintock) Wilson)
- Former Sparrow Senior Vice President of Operations Ira Ginsburg
- Former Sparrow Board Chairperson Lance Lynch
- Community leader Virginia Hilbert*
- Sparrow Volunteer and longtime board member Evelyn Scheffel*
- Former Sparrow President and CEO F. Karl Neumann
- Mason businessman Frank Guerriero*
- Community leader Duane Vernon
- Former Sparrow Vice President and Director of Nursing Sue Tadgerson*
- Former Sparrow Hospital/Health System Board Chairs Marylee Davis, Ph.D., and Mary Jessup
- Former Michigan State University Athletic Director Ron Mason*
- WILX-TV 10 sports anchor Tim Staudt
- Kevin A. Kelly*, former Executive Director of the Michigan State Medical Society
- Drs. William Harrison*, Mahlon Sharp* and Joseph Sheets*
Choose Wisely. Choose Sparrow.