Published: March 18, 2009
LANSING, Mich. - Lance Lynch, former chair of the Sparrow Health System Board of Directors, today received the health care organization's highest honor, the 2009 Sparrow Founders' Award.
James Butler III, chair of the Sparrow Health System Board of Directors, and Dr. Dawn Springer, chief of the medical staff, presented Lynch with the award at Sparrow's annual Founders' Day celebration at Sparrow Hospital.
Lynch was cited for his leadership during a period of unprecedented growth and development for Sparrow and for his extraordinary record of community volunteerism that includes memberships or leadership positions on more than two dozen community organizations including the Lansing Kiwanis, Lansing Fire Board, Volunteers of America, Model Cities, Boys and Girls Club, Box 23, Lansing Area Safety Council and the Old Newsboys.
"Lance works tirelessly on behalf of Sparrow patients and generously gives of himself to the community. His contributions over decades of volunteer service have enriched our community in countless ways." Butler said.
Sparrow's Founder's Award is the highest individual honor bestowed by the Sparrow Health System. Past recipients include philanthropist and community leader Virginia Hilbert; Sparrow volunteer and longtime board member Evelyn Scheffel; former Sparrow President and CEO F. Karl Neumann; Lansing businessman, community advocate and former board chair Lawrence Bass; Mason businessman Frank Guerriero; community leader Duane Vernon; former Sparrow Vice President and Director of Nursing Sue Tadgerson; former Sparrow Health System Board Chairs, Marylee Davis, PhD, and Mary Jessup; former Michigan State University Athletic Director Ron Mason; and legendary physicians Dr. William Harrison, Dr. Mahlon Sharp and Dr. Joseph Sheets.
The celebration marks Sparrow's 113th year of service to the mid-Michigan community. Founded in 1896 by a group of 114 women volunteers, the organization got its start as Lansing City Hospital and was rebuilt as Sparrow Hospital at its current site at 1215 E. Michigan Avenue in 1912, taking the name of Lansing businessman and benefactor Edward W. Sparrow.