Not even a little rainfall could dampen the spirits of nearly 2,000 children and their families who showed up for the 2015 Sparrow Michigan Mile on Saturday, May 30, brought to you by Auto-Owners Insurance.
Young runners braved a few light rain showers at Cooley Law School Stadium and were rewarded by the end of the warm overcast day with their shiny gold finisher’s medals and a chance to give Sparty or Big Lug a high-five after crossing the finish line. Many even got a free Michigan Mile temporary tattoo before or after their race. They also had the opportunity to enjoy the new Kids Activity Zone, and visited with Raindrop the Clown and Sharon the Face Painter.
The final registration count for the popular annual event was 1,960 kids who hopefully all finished the day happier, healthier and ready for a summer full of fun and fitness.
Event photos will be available by June 10 online at Gennara Photography. Those families who participated should have received login information to download their free pictures or purchase high-quality prints in their Michigan Mile follow-up survey email.
2015 Michigan Mile Fun Facts:
- Average heat size was 203 kids.
- Largest heat (of the 11 that were offered) was the 7 year old Michigan Mile race heat.
- 82% of participants ran the Mile; 18% participated in the KIDSPRINT.
- Consumed 2,016 granola bars, 2,592 bottles of water, and 12 allergy-free snacks.
- Over 60% of participants heard about the Michigan Mile through their school.
- Over 110 volunteers helped out on Race Day.