More than a dozen Sparrow Nurses were given special recognition for extraordinary care and service as part of activities celebrating national Nurses Week.
Barbara Given, PhD, Michigan State University Distinguished Professor of Nursing and Director of the PhD Program, received Sparrow Nursing’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Given has spent more than 45 years in MSU’s College of Nursing, and is the interim head of the Sparrow/MSU Center for Innovation and Research.
Dawn Weitzel, of Dimondale, a Homecare/LTACH/Hospice Nurse, received Sparrow’s highest Nursing honor, the Jean Granger Award, which recognizes excellence in nursing at Sparrow and contributions to the community.
In addition, 11 Nurses were selected as Nurses of the Year in their specialty areas:
• Mary Moretto, of Bath, Adult Psych/Gero Psych/Substance Abuse
• Julie Dunneback, of Lansing, Advanced Practice/Education
• Ann Marie Patrick, of Lansing, Critical Care/Stepdown
• Melissa Hinkle, of Lansing, Emergency Department
• Shannon Vanderhoof, of Durand, Homecare/LTACH/Hospice
• Amy Brown, of Charlotte, Management
• Kathy Rademacher, of Lansing, Med/Surgical
• Kathy Burkholder, of Lansing, Perioperative
• Karen Anderson, of Grand Ledge, Professional Support
• Nancy Moore, of Eagle, Sparrow's Clinics/Practices/Affiliates
• Courtney Miller, of Holt, Women/Children's
Sparrow Nurses also received recognitions from organizations across the state.
Kathy Marble, RNICU Department Manager, is the Runner Up in the Education and Research Category of the 25th Annual Nightingale Awards for Nursing Excellence from Oakland University.
Meseret Gebissa, Manager of Orthopedics/Neurosurgery, is the 2013 Nurse of the Year of the Greater Flint chapter of the National Black Nurse's Association.
Catherine Brennan, Sheena McGuckin and Teresa Miller are 2013 LSJ Salute to Nurses award winners.