Published: March 30, 2023
LANSING, MI – On this Doctors’ Day, Sparrow is proud to announce recognition for a host of outstanding medical providers who have distinguished themselves for their highly skilled care and for protecting the community during challenging times.
The honorees are among Sparrow’s 1,244 primary and specialty care physicians who have earned kudos on this national day to recognize the importance of all doctors.
Recognized as Sparrow Physician of the Year is John Baker, M.D., who has been instrumental in Sparrow’s Behavioral Health team. Through teaching and mentorship of other clinicians, advocacy for his patients, and a dedication that has lasted decades, Dr. Baker is deserving of the honor of Physician of the Year for 2023. He has also volunteered countless hours seeing patients at Community Mental Health.
For our first-ever Advanced Practice Provider Award, the honoree is Nurse Practitioner Mary Boudreau, DNP, MSW, of Sparrow Medical Group Senior Health. Boudreau exemplifies what it means to be an outstanding nurse leader, caring for patients on all levels. She goes above and beyond for her patients, making sure they have food and warm clothing, and helps educate student nurse practitioners. An Advanced Practice Provider is a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant who is not a physician but performs some of the same functions.
John Baker, M.D.
Mary Boudreau, DNP, MSW
The annual Physician Leadership Award is given to Yaohong Tan, M.D., of Sparrow Medical Group Pathology, who has maintained a consistent focus on expanding lab services for the community. She has also been lauded as an inspiration for women in medicine who aspire to leadership roles.
Inductees into Sparrow’s Physician Hall of Fame can be nominated by colleagues or members of the community. This year’s inductees include:
- Joel Cohn, M.D., Sparrow TCI: A longtime physician at TCI, Dr. Cohn is one of the most prominent cardiologists in the area and has been a leader at Sparrow and in mentoring up-and-coming physicians.
- Shirin Doshi, D.O., Sparrow Family Health Center – Central: Committed to improving patient care, patient outcomes, and patient safety, Dr. Doshi is a respected and sought-after leader in case management and other areas.
- Subhash Gupta, M. D., Anesthesia and Pain Management Consultants: Dr. Gupta has worked in pain management and anesthesia for many years, treating countless patients. He is instrumental to the Obstetric Anesthesia team at Sparrow.
- Kevin J. Liu, D. O., L.O. Eye Care: Helping see patients see their way through ophthalmologic emergencies, Dr. Liu is a valued member of the network of physicians at Sparrow.
- Pamela Young, PA-C, Sparrow Hospital Trauma Center: With more than 30 years of experience caring for trauma patients, Physician Assistant Pamela Young exemplifies what it means to be a compassionate caregiver and is a devout advocate for her patients. She has over 30 years of experience in trauma and a lifetime of service as a specialist in the military.
The honorees will be recognized at a dinner in May.
To learn more about Sparrow physicians and providers, go to Sparrow.org.
Sparrow is Mid-Michigan’s premier health care organization that includes hospitals in Lansing, Charlotte, St. Johns, Ionia and Carson City as well as Physicians Health Plan, Sparrow Care Network, Sparrow Medical Group, the Michigan Athletic Club, and AL!VE. Sparrow is affiliated with Michigan Medicine through the Sparrow Children’s Center and with Michigan State University’s three human health colleges. Through these partnerships and the dedication of our 10,000 Caregivers, Sparrow pursues a vision to be nationally recognized as a leader in quality and Patient experience. For more information, visit Sparrow.org.