Some simple tips will help attendees of Sparrow’s new Brunch with a Doctor program learn how better management of their medications can improve their health.
Joy Wahawisan, Pharm.D., BCPS, of Physicians Health Plan, will present “10 Tips and Tricks to Get the Most Out of Your Medications” on Wednesday, July 22, at 9:30 a.m. at the Kellogg Center, East Lansing. PHP is a subsidiary of Sparrow.
Proper management of prescriptions and other medicines is one of the most important issues in health care.
When used properly, medications are among the most effective tools we have in fighting disease.
Proper medication use can lower health care costs and improve health outcomes for Patients. But there are huge pitfalls if they are handled incorrectly.
Topics to be discussed at the brunch will include:
- Generic options to expensive medications
- Common drugs that cause constipation and what you can do about it
- How to obtain easy-open vials
- The best type of calcium supplement for you
- Common over-the-counter drug interactions
- Why taking all your antibiotics is important
- Are you allergic to your medication or is it a side effect?
- How to choose the best brands of herbal supplements
- The benefits of keeping a list of your medications in your wallet
- What your pharmacist can do to help you better manage your medications
Dr. Wahawisan also will discuss Medication Therapy Management, a free service for all Patients covered by PHP. The Pharmacist-directed program helps Patients understand and manage their medication regimen and assists prescribers in avoiding potential medication-related problems. The goal is to help Patients succeed in managing their chronic conditions for better health outcomes.
Choose Wisely. Choose Sparrow.