Published: September 20, 2021
LANSING, MI – The Sparrow Health System Board of Directors has approved an $800-million capital improvement plan that includes construction of a five-story patient tower at Sparrow Hospital and other major projects that reflect our investment in improving access and quality of care in Mid-Michigan.
In creating the plan, we are responding to the needs and feedback of our physicians and caregivers, who have been asking for more Emergency Department space and other features. We entered this process with two key considerations: Where healthcare is going in the future and giving our caregivers the tools they need to address our continued growth.
The plan is indicative of the important commitment that guides Sparrow as the region’s only community-owned, community-based, community-governed health system. It includes hundreds of millions of dollars in new investment by Sparrow into the Lansing-area economy and shows the importance we place, as the area’s largest private employer, on keeping jobs in the region and promoting potential employment growth. Sparrow is investing in the future of healthcare in the region and building momentum for further growth.
- Construction of a five-story Sparrow Hospital patient tower, directly north of the current West Tower. This major new construction will create 112 new private rooms in order to meet current patient demand and our goal of having all-private rooms to improve their experience. The new inpatient space will also reduce wait times in the Sparrow Hospital Emergency Department.
- Our already announced Ambulatory Surgery Center: The plan also includes our investment in the planned Ambulatory Surgery Center on E. Michigan Avenue.
- Our already announced Meridian Township Medical Office Building: This new medical office building now under discussion in Meridian Township would encompass a Freestanding Emergency Department.
- Sparrow Hospital Emergency Department expansion: The Emergency Department is often the patient’s gateway to the hospital and Sparrow has the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the region. The new tower project will allow us to add additional square footage that will permit us to redesign our layout and improve patient flow.
- Community Hospitals: The plan provides tens of millions of dollars in new investment in our important Community Hospitals – Sparrow Carson, Sparrow Clinton, Sparrow Eaton, and Sparrow Ionia.
- Ambulatory Centers: The plan includes capital for new ambulatory sites, representing the importance of outpatient care and of addressing the growing needs in our outlying areas and suburbs.
Sparrow is Mid-Michigan’s premier healthcare organization and includes hospitals in Lansing, Carson City, Charlotte, Ionia and St. Johns, as well as Physicians Health Plan, Sparrow Care Network, Sparrow Medical Group, the Michigan Athletic Club, and AL!VE. Sparrow is affiliated with Michigan Medicine through the Sparrow Children’s Center and with Michigan State University’s three human health colleges. Through these partnerships and the dedication of our 10,000 Caregivers, Sparrow pursues a vision to be nationally recognized as a leader in quality and Patient experience. For more information, visit Sparrow.org.