Proper disposal of medication keeps our communities safe and healthy.
Sparrow has placed permanent medication disposal bins at seven of our locations throughout Mid-Michigan. The Medication Disposal Program provides an easy way for patients and community members to properly dispose of excess medications.
Proper disposal of medications helps reduce:
» contamination of our landfills and water sources.
» misuse and abuse of opioid prescriptions, which can lead to addiction.
Just follow a few simple steps for safe and convenient disposal of over-the-counter and prescription medications you no longer need or use. You must bring all medications for disposal into the Pharmacy and place them in the DEA Collection Receptacle yourself. They cannot be dropped off at the drive-thru.
Using the Medication Disposal Program Bins
- Ensure all medications are in a sealed container or plastic bag.
- If using an original prescription bottle, please remove any personal information.
- Place the medications into the Sparrow Medical Disposal Program bin.
- Tablets (prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and pet/veterinary medications)
- Needles and sharps
- Non-pharmaceutical items, such as medical equipment
- Illegal drugs