The Convenience of an E-Visit
An E-Visit is a convenient way to contact a Sparrow provider for common, non-urgent medical conditions. Symptom-Specific E-Visits are for acute-care conditions that require medical decision-making by a provider. E-Visits are similar to the types of visits you would see in an urgent care or primary care office. Our providers will review the E-Visit submission and send a treatment plan, via the MySparrow patient portal messaging system.
E-Visit Patient Instructions Using a Computer
To learn more about how to submit an E-Visit through MySparrow using a desktop computer, download the helpful PDF guide.
E-Visit Patient Instructions Using a Smartphone
To learn more about how to submit an E-Visit through MySparrow using a smartphone, download the helpful PDF guide.
E-Visit Frequently Asked Questions
E-Visits are available for a wide range of symptoms, conditions and medical questions. The examples below indicate some but not all uses for E-Visits:
Questions or medical advice for a primary care physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant (non-urgent)
Questions or consultation with a specialist
Maintenance appointments for chronic conditions (as directed by your provider)
Minor acute conditions including:
- Cough, flu, or COVID-19 like symptoms
- Sinus issues
- Insect bites and stings
- Head lice
- Painful urination
- Vaginal discharge or irritation
E-Visits are available for all established patients with a MySparrow portal account. For patients under the age of 18, the E-Visit must be submitted by a parent or guardian with proxy access to the patient's MySparrow portal account.
A provider's response time goal for an E-Visit is typically two business days.
The patient may request an E-Visit anytime. Providers typically respond within regular business hours.
A provider can prescribe medications if it is medically necessary.
The patient will select which pharmacy they would like their prescription to be sent to when completing eCheck-in.
- The patient will log into their patient portal account at: MyChart.sparrow.org
- Select Menu
- Select the Ask a Question option under Communication
- Select Question or medical advice with a physician (E-Visit)
- The patient will answer a few short questions about their health and complete eCheck-in
- The patient will receive a written response from a Sparrow Provider via their MySparrow patient portal
Health insurance may fully cover an E-Visit. Patients are encouraged to verify if an E-Visit is covered under their plan by calling their insurance company and asking if the following billing codes are covered: 99421, 99422, 99423. If their insurance does not cover an E-Visit, they will be charged $30-$80 based on the time a provider spends on the E-Visit.
The patient will not be charged for the E-Visit if the Sparrow provider determines that an E-Visit is inappropriate for their condition. The patient will be directed to schedule an in-person, video or telephone visit instead.
No, a Sparrow provider will send the patient a written treatment plan via their MySparrow patient portal.
A written treatment plan is a unique message sent from a Sparrow provider to a patient through the MySparrow portal. A written treatment plan may include:
- Advice on how to treat the patient's common, non-urgent health condition at home
- Prescriptions or suggestions for over-the-counter medications (as needed)
- A written response to a patient's question
- Recommendations to avoid public settings like work or school (as needed)