Beginning April 14, 2003, Sparrow Health System on behalf of itself and all of its subsidiaries and affiliates ("Sparrow") will provide you with a Notice of Privacy Practices ("Notice") that explains Sparrow's privacy practices and your rights regarding your patient information. The first time you receive care on or after April 14, 2003, Sparrow will provide you with a copy of our Notice and ask you to acknowledge its receipt. Sparrow may need to change its privacy policies and practices from time to time and will update the Notice accordingly. The Notice applies to the Sparrow entities and their affiliates that are members of our organized health care arrangement ("OHCA"). An organized health care arrangement as defined in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA") privacy regulations, addresses situations in which a number of independent entities are clinically or financially integrated, and need to be able to exchange protected health information ("PHI") among themselves to accomplish the functions for which they have formed. The Notice describes the privacy practices at Sparrow.
Sparrow includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Edward W. Sparrow Hospital Association
- Sparrow Carson Hospital
- Sparrow Clinton Hospital
- Sparrow Community Care
- Sparrow Eaton Hospital
- Sparrow Ionia Hospital
- Sparrow Specialty Hospital
- Sparrow Medical Group
Within each Sparrow entity, the following includes but is not limited to:
- All of the relevant departments and units
- All Medical Staff and other health care professionals authorized to enter information into your respective patient chart
- All employees and independent contractors of the Sparrow Health System and its subsidiaries and affiliates, including but not limited to any physician organization that provides services to any Sparrow entity.
You may view the Notice of Privacy Practices. You may also ask for a copy of our current Notice at any time in any of the patient registration areas, including clinics, and it is publicly posted in a number of places. Or, you may call 517.364.2161 to request a copy of the Notice be mailed or emailed to you (please provide appropriate contact information).