Sparrow values men's health, which is why we are spreading the word about Movember. Movember is an annual event that brings awareness to important men's health issues such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health, and more. We have compiled facts and resources for some of the most important health issues men face today. Click on each tab below to learn more about a specific health issue and take action!
Globally, a man dies by suicide every minute of every day. Movember reminds us that we all have the power to talk, ask, listen, encourage action, and check in.
- In case of an emergency, please call 911. The Sparrow Hospital Emergency Department is ready to serve you for a crisis evaluation with dedicated adult and pediatric emergency departments on the Sparrow Hospital campus and a network of regional emergency rooms. No matter where you are in Mid-Michigan, you’re never far from great emergency care
- Call Sparrow’s Behavioral Health Centralized Access Services at 1.800.761.9384 for information and next steps on behavioral health services at Sparrow. We are located within the Sparrow Hospital Emergency Department and can help facilitate admissions to our adult psychiatric units, geriatric psychiatric units, or one of our outpatient programs for mental health or substance abuse services.
- Learn more about our Outpatient Behavioral Health Clinic for short-term behavioral issues by calling 517.364.7700. We offer a range of services for adults, seniors, children, and adolescents struggling with mental health and substance abuse.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1.800.273.8255) provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
- In a crisis? Text HOME to 741741 to connect with a Crisis Counselor for free, 24/7 support from Crisis Text Line.
- For a comprehensive list of resources, visit us.movember.com/mens-health/get-support. Movember offers support and services for young people, grief/bereavement, addiction, and more.
Did you know one in nine men in the U.S. will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime? Know your numbers, know your risk, and talk to your doctor.
- Get the expert urology care you need at Sparrow Medical Group Urology.
- World-class cancer care is available close to home. See why cancer patients choose Sparrow for life-saving cancer care, from diagnosis to treatment at the Sparrow Herbert-Herman Cancer Center.
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men after skin cancer and it can often be treated successfully. Find out all about prostate cancer, including risk factors, symptoms, detection, and treatment, at cancer.org/prostate-cancer.
- Early detection is key. Learn about PSA testing and when to talk to your doctor about it at Movember.com.
Testicular cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in young men in the United States but it is a highly treatable cancer if detected early.
- Schedule a check-up with Sparrow Medical Group Urology.
- World-class cancer care is available close to home. See why cancer patients choose Sparrow for life-saving cancer care, from diagnosis to treatment at at the Sparrow Herbert-Herman Cancer Center.
- Learn about testicular cancer, including risks, prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and more at cancer.org/cancer/testicular-cancer.
- The earlier testicular cancer is detected, the more treatment options are available. Learn about self-examinations and other helpful resources at Movember.com.
According to the CDC, more than 34 million Americans have diabetes and one in five of them don’t know they have it. Knowledge is the key to controlling diabetes.
- The multidisciplinary team approach at Sparrow Diabetes & Endocrinology enables us to provide comprehensive care for even the most complex medical and surgical needs. Read about Mid-Michigan’s only multidisciplinary diabetes service and how we can help you at Sparrow.org/Diabetes or call 517.364.8080.
- Read about diabetes types, causes, treatment, and more at diabetes.org.
- Take a risk test, find nutrition tips, make a fitness plan, and more at diabetes.org.
The expert team at Sparrow Medical Group Urology is highly skilled in treating a wide range of urological conditions, such as erectile dysfunction, kidney stones, and more.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men in the United States and Movember is the perfect time to get your heart health checked.
- See why Sparrow Thoracic Cardiovascular Institute (TCI) is nationally recognized as top performing in heart health, bringing leading heart care to Mid-Michigan for over 40 years. Call 517.364.9650 to schedule an appointment.
- In case of an emergency, please call 911.
- Do you know the symptoms of heart attacks and stroke? The American Heart Association shares what to look out for.
- A healthy heart starts with eating healthy, staying active, getting sleep, managing stress, and more. The American Heart Association shares these tips for living a healthy lifestyle.
Globally, men die on average six years earlier than women, and for reasons that are largely preventable. Take action to live healthier, happier and longer lives with these tips and resources.
- Move more this Movember! Sparrow Michigan Athletic Club is excited to welcome you back with new safety precautions in place. Visit Sparrow.org/MAC for more information.
- Check out our YouTube to find healthy recipes for any occasion.
- The American Heart Association shares these tips for living a healthy lifestyle, including eating healthy, managing stress, getting sleep, connecting socially, and more.
- Check out these top 5 things men should know and do for a happy, healthier life from The Movember Foundation.