Happy Doctors' Day to our Highly Skilled Physicians!
We honor and recognize our physicians for their commitment and tireless dedication to caring for our patients with leading-edge medicine every day. We received many testimonials over the past few weeks about our outstanding physicians and would like to share them with you in this special new e-book below.
We also have more big news. Each year, the Sparrow Women’s Board of Managers honors outstanding Sparrow physicians nominated by their peers, who have stood out over the last year, going above and beyond in service to our community. On this Doctors’ Day, in conjunction with the Women’s Board of Managers, we’re proud to announce the following physicians are being recognized:
Physician of the Year
- Philip Croft, M.D., J.D., of Sparrow Pathology, who provided invaluable COVID data and analysis throughout the pandemic, helping prepare Sparrow’s clinical teams during patient surges.
- Mohamed Farhat, M.D., a Sparrow Pediatric Intensivist, who after witnessing a horrific accident assisted on-scene, focusing on four critically injured children and accompanying them to Sparrow for further care.
Thank you, Dr. Croft and Dr. Farhat, for your outstanding service to Sparrow patients and our community.
Physician Hall of Fame
- James Barton, M.D., an Obstetrician and Gynecologist at Lansing OB/GYN, is a dedicated physician, educator, and leader who is the “go-to” when difficult surgeries and issues arise.
- Donald Bartkowski, M.D., recently retired after dedicating more than 20 years to pediatric urology patients at Sparrow Hospital.
- Suad Khalil, M.D., a distinguished pediatric neurologist and current chair of Pediatric Neurology, has expertise in epilepsy and whose fierce advocacy for her patients is second to none.
- Candace Metcalf, RN, D.O., a retired OB Anesthesiologist and past Sparrow Chief of Staff, led the OB anesthesia team to receive the Center of Excellence designation from the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology, bestowed on a select group of institutions nationwide.
- James Richard, D.O., a Pathologist and Medical Director of Sparrow Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, providing outstanding leadership to Sparrow’s laboratory teams throughout the COVID pandemic.
- Jeffrey Stowitts, D.O., a long-time Sparrow Medical Group Greenville physician, is kind, caring, compassionate, and dedicated to his patients.
Thank you all for your compassionate care!
Physician Leadership Award
The physicians receiving the Physician Leadership Award went to extraordinary lengths to protect the community and some of our sickest patients during COVID surges, including doubling or tripling their hours and numbers of patients. Their selflessness was an example to all:
- Aaron Abramovitz, M.D. (SMG-Critical Care Service)
- Kristy Beckholt, D.O. (Family Medicine/Geriatrics/Sparrow Specialty Hospital)
- Selwan Edward, M.D. (SMG-Critical Care Service)
- Jennifer Ely, D.O. (Pulmonary & Critical Care Consultants)
- Christopher Huhta, M.D. (Pulmonary & Critical Care Consultants)
- Nagham Jafar, M.D. (SMG-Critical Care Service)
- Madhavi Kanneganti, M.D. (SMG-Critical Care Service)
- Ghulam Khaleeq, M.D. (Pulmonary & Critical Care Consultants)
- Michael Masnyj, D.O. (Pulmonary & Critical Care Consultants)
- Corey O'Brien, D.O. (Pulmonary & Critical Care Consultants)
- Rajit Pahwa, M.D. (SMG-Critical Care Service)
Please thank these physicians for their dedication and commitment to providing quality, compassionate care to our patients!
A Special Message from Karen Kent VanGorder, M.D.
Please view this special message from Karen Kent VanGorder, M.D., Sparrow Health System Chief Medical and Quality Officer.