Sparrow's EMU is the first of its kind in the region.
Our Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU), the first and only of its kind in the region, utilizes state-of-the-art technology to evaluate, diagnose, and treat seizures in patients of all ages. We understand how crucial it is to monitor symptoms over a period of time to make or confirm a diagnosis.
Led by a comprehensive team of board-certified professionals, patients are monitored around-the-clock with highly specialized care, giving hope for one-third of epilepsy patients who do not respond to traditional treatment methods.
EEG with video referrals
This is a 3-5 day 'inpatient' admission. You must complete and send all documents listed below before admission can be scheduled.
- Cover Sheet, with the referring, and PCP Physicians' name, fax number, and phone number.
- Physician notes/H&P from all office visits with the patient.
- List of patient’s medications.
- Written order stating 3-5 day inpatient EMU admission.
- EEG reports (if not completed within Sparrow Health System).
- Patient's demographic information: patient's name, date of birth, address, phone number, insurance information, and copy of the patient’s insurance card.
Please fax to 517.364.2073
Depending on where it starts in the brain, epilepsy can come in many forms, from a finger twitch to confusion and whole body shaking.
Sparrow is on the cutting-edge of epilepsy treatment amongst the nation’s top medical centers. In many cases, epilepsy can be satisfactorily managed with medications; however, surgery remains an option for those that do not respond. Although there is no cure for epilepsy, we are dedicated to achieving the correct diagnosis and providing the best care available.
- One out of 100 people have epilepsy and one-third of those people are not cured by any single medicine.
- Epileptic seizures can come in many forms, from loss of consciousness to a thumb twitch, making it crucial to be able to monitor patients’ symptoms over a period of time.
Neurological issues can be challenging. Sparrow is dedicated to providing compassionate and professional care in a private setting. As the trusted source in our community, thousands of people a year visit the Sparrow Neurodiagnostic Laboratory for testing. You can be assured that our team is trained, dedicated, and available for you when you need help.
Our team utilizes the latest in technology to perform tests and analyze results related to neurological function. The testing performed is dependent of your symptoms and may include:
- Video EEG Monitoring
- Evoked Potentials (EPs)
- Auditory Evoked Potential (AEP)
- Visual Evoked Potential (VEP)
- Somatosensory Evoked Potential (SEP)
- Intraoperative Neurophysiological Monitoring (IONM)
- Transcranial Doppler (TCD)
Epilepsy is a common disorder in children, with 470,000 diagnosed in the United States alone. Sparrow, with board certified Epileptologists from MSU, offers the only pediatric epilepsy monitoring unit in the region
The Epilepsy Center at Sparrow Hospital/MSU offers neurodiagnostic testing including:
- Routine EEG
- Long Term Video EEG
- ICU-EEG monitoring
- Ambulatory EEGs
- Brain MRI
The Center also offers a range of pediatric epilepsy treatment, and monitoring services for neonates, infants, children, and teens with seizures or epilepsy such as:
- Pharmacologic management of medically refractory epilepsy
- Epilepsy dietary program with specialized pediatric epilepsy dietitians
- Dietary changes for seizure patients who do not respond to medication
- Neuropsychological testing
- Management of vagal nerve stimulator (VNS) and Responsive Neurostimulation devices that are implanted to reduce seizure frequency
- Clinical trials in pediatric epilepsy treatment
Hear from our experts
Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
1215 E. Michigan Ave.
Lansing, MI 48912