Published: February 9, 2021
LANSING, MI – Noted business, higher education, and medical leaders have been appointed to the Boards of Directors of various boards that govern Sparrow Health System (SHS) and its subsidiaries.
Kelly Preston, president of Capital Steel and Wire, has joined the board that governs the entire health system.
Joining the Sparrow Hospital Board are:
- Jeanette Wrona Klemczak, MSN, BSN, RN, FAAN, healthcare workforce consultant, Lansing Community College.
- LaKeeya Tucker, D.O., Sparrow Hospital Medical Chief of Staff and physician, Alliance OB/GYN.
Wael Salman, M.D., an internal medicine physician with Owosso Medical Associates, has joined the board of Sparrow Care Network.
A trio of leaders have become members of the Sparrow Women’s Board of Managers. The new members are:
- Vicki Belloli, volunteer and past president of the Sparrow Hospital Guild
- Cheryl Benjamin, certified travel ambassador, retired state of Michigan Human Resources
- Daphne Hobson, CPA, retired audit manager, state of Michigan Internal Audit Services Division.
As a community-based and community-governed health system, board involvement is essential to Sparrow’s success. Board members provide leadership and guidance, representing the needs of patients and our community.
A host of community leaders have also joined the board of the Sparrow Foundation. New members are:
- Deborah Allen, president-elect, Sparrow Women’s Board of Managers
- Monique Field-Foster, attorney, Warner Norcross & Judd, LLP
- Melissa Herbert, former VP, Support Services, Neogen Corp.
- Wayne Lynn, director, Electric Transmission & Distribution, Lansing Board of Water and Light
- Michael McLeod, M.D., surgeon, MSU Surgery, and Sparrow Hospital Medical Chief of Staff-Elect.
Sparrow’s Community Hospitals are also benefiting from the guidance of numerous new board members. Sparrow Carson Hospital has welcomed:
- Michael Racine, M.D., Emergency Medicine physician and Sparrow Carson Hospital Medical Chief of Staff
- Renee Sopel, former principal, Ithaca Upper Elementary School
Joining the Sparrow Clinton Hospital Board are:
- Mark Weismiller, M.D., Sparrow Medical Group general surgeon and Sparrow Clinton Hospital Medical Chief of Staff
- Matthew Wilcox, D.O., cardiology specialist, Sparrow TCI
New members of the Sparrow Eaton Hospital Board are:
- Maria Davis, Ph.D., provost, professor of biology, Olivet College
- Joseph Garcia, deputy general counsel, state of Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services
- Colette Scrimger, MSW, health officer, Barry-Eaton District Health Department
At Sparrow Ionia Hospital, new members include:
- Virgil Biggs, CPA, owner, Biggs, Dickinson & Roberts Wealth Management Services, LLC
- John Milewski, II, director of technology, Ionia County Intermediate School District
- Brett Reich, D.O., Emergency Medicine medical director at Sparrow Eaton and Sparrow Ionia and Sparrow Ionia Hospital Medical Chief of Staff
Sparrow Specialty Hospital’s board has added:
- Rebecca Behar-Cook, CEO, Capitol Fundraising Associates
- Dion’trae Hayes, township supervisor and chief administrative officer, Lansing Township
- Martha Jakubiak, RN, retired, neurosurgical registered nurse
Sparrow also wishes to thank the many community leaders who have recently concluded their service on one of our governing boards. They include:
- Mike King, Sparrow Health System
- Robin DeMuth, M.D., Sparrow Hospital
- Barbara Given, RN, PhD, Sparrow Hospital
- John Lancour, Sparrow Hospital
- Price Dobernick, Sparrow Foundation
- Patty Barnas, Sparrow Foundation
- Pat McPharlin, Sparrow Foundation
- Kelly Preston, Sparrow Foundation
- Laura Stearns, Sparrow Foundation
- Patrick Gillespie, Sparrow Foundation
- Lakeeya Tucker, DO, Sparrow Foundation
- Russell Anderson, D.O.., Sparrow Carson
- Gary Reetz, Sparrow Carson
- Christopher Beal,D.O.., Sparrow Clinton
- Fred Darin, O.D., Sparrow Eaton
- Charles Grundstrom, Sparrow Eaton
- Sharon Kubica, Sparrow Eaton
- Jason Eppler, Sparrow Ionia
- Ron Hyde, D.O., Sparrow Ionia
- Beth Jungel, Sparrow Ionia
- John Davids, Sparrow Ionia
- Carol Conn, Sparrow Specialty Hospital
- Deborah Hollis, Sparrow Specialty Hospital
- Mary Smania, Sparrow Specialty Hospital
- Marian Brooks-Bryant, Women’s Board of Managers
- Christine Hollister, Women’s Board of Managers
- Linda Kahler, Women’s Board of Managers
- Gina Spencer, Women’s Board of Managers
- Linda Woodrow, Women’s Board of Managers (posthumous)
Interested in learning more about Sparrow’s governing boards?
Sparrow Health System is Mid-Michigan’s premier healthcare organization and includes hospitals in Lansing, Carson City, Charlotte, Ionia and St. Johns, as well as Sparrow Specialty Hospital, Physicians Health Plan, Sparrow Care Network, Sparrow Medical Group and the Michigan Athletic Club. Sparrow is affiliated with Michigan Medicine through the Sparrow Children’s Center and with Michigan State University’s three human health colleges. Through these partnerships and the dedication of our 10,000 caregivers, Sparrow pursues a vision to be nationally recognized as a leader in quality and patient experience. For more information, visit Sparrow.org.