LANSING, MI – February is Heart Health Month and Sparrow is sponsoring several local events to promote cardiac care and keep everyone in the Mid-Michigan region informed about healthy habits.
Did you know that one in four people die of heart disease every year or that heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women and that 735,000 Americans have a heart attack every year.
Knowing your risk starts with knowing your numbers and making the right lifestyle choices, including proper diet, physical activity, and abstaining from smoking. Free heart health screenings will be held throughout the month at Sparrow Hospital and our Community Hospitals. In as little as 15 minutes, participants will learn about their cholesterol and blood pressure from a Sparrow Nurse. No appointment is necessary and parking is complimentary.
The screenings will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the following locations:
- Tuesday, Feb. 4: Sparrow Hospital, main lobby, 1215 E. Michigan Avenue, Lansing
- Thursday, Feb. 6: Sparrow Clinton Hospital, north lobby entrance, 805 S. Oakland Street, St. Johns
- Tuesday, Feb. 11: Sparrow Carson Hospital, Conference Room B, 406 E. Elm Street, Carson City
- Thursday, Feb. 13: AL!VE, 800 E. Lawrence Avenue, Charlotte
- Tuesday, Feb. 18: Sparrow Ionia Hospital, 2nd floor conference room, 3665 S. State Road, Ionia
Here are other events happening at Sparrow throughout the month:
- Saturday, Feb. 1: Sparrow turns red in commemoration of Heart Month. Exterior lights at Sparrow Hospital will be red throughout February.
- Wednesday, Feb. 5: A Physician with the Sparrow Thoracic and Cardiovascular Institute, Mid-Michigan’s leading cardiology practice, promotes heart health awareness with Okemos School District students.
- Friday, Feb. 7: Wear Red Day to show support and awareness of women’s risk of heart disease. Heart disease is the number one killer of women.
- Thursday, Feb. 13: Sparrow Eaton Hospital hosts its seventh annual interactive, educational Heart Health Event at AL!VE. There will be a free Lunch and Learn presentation, with a heart healthy lunch starting at 11:30 a.m., followed by a presentation by experts from Sparrow Eaton’s Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation program. Lunch is included for all who pre-register by Monday, Feb. 10, by calling 517.541.5800, option 1.
- Thursday, Feb. 13: Sparrow Ionia Hospital hosts a Lunch and Learn session on AFIB and stroke, presented by Aimee Seaman, FNP, Sparrow TCI. The free session will be held from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the second floor conference room at Sparrow Ionia, 3665 S. State Road, Ionia. Call to reserve a spot at 616.523.1356.
Sparrow, a member of the prestigious Mayo Clinic Care Network, is mid-Michigan’s premier healthcare organization that includes hospitals in Lansing, Charlotte, St. Johns, Ionia and Carson City as well as Physicians Health Plan, Sparrow Care Network, Sparrow Medical Group and the Michigan Athletic Club. Sparrow is affiliated with Michigan State University’s three human health colleges. Through these partnerships and the dedication of our 10,000 Caregivers, Sparrow pursues a vision to be nationally recognized as a leader in quality and Patient experience. For more information, visit Sparrow.org.