Sparrow Hospital Guild is a volunteer group whose mission is to support Sparrow Health System through volunteerism and fundraising. Since its founding in 1924, the Guild has raised more than $2 million to help enhance patient care and services at Sparrow.
History of the Guild
In 1896, a group of visionary women formed the Women’s Hospital Association, opening a 10-bed hospital that eventually grew into the 44-bed Edward W. Sparrow Hospital. In the early 1920s, the need continued to grow in the Lansing community for accessible, clinical health care. An assemblage of ladies formed a volunteer group to create and manage a free pediatric clinic to serve local families in need. In 1924, the Sparrow Hospital Guild was formed under the name, The Edward W. Sparrow Clinic Guild to support the new clinic. Sparrow Hospital Guild continued its emphasis on pediatrics, and throughout the many decades, Guild has been able to broaden its focus to include areas of greatest need within the health system.
The Guild’s Incredible Fundraiser, otherwise known as T.G.I.F., is the signature fundraising event of Sparrow Hospital Guild. The event falls on a Friday evening in November each year and features food, fun, and entertainment of a wide variety. Past events have featured live and silent auctions, a golf ball drop, wine pulls, games, and more, raising money for a priority health need. Recent beneficiaries have included Hospice, Precision Medicine; the Senior Navigation Hub; and Sparrow Thoracic Cardiovascular Institute (TCI).
Dining with a Silver Lining (DWSL) is a quarterly fundraising partnership with varying restaurants throughout the community. When you dine at the selected restaurant on a predetermined date, a percentage of your purchase is donated to the Guild to fund initiatives such as CPR manikins, neonatal equipment, Precision Medicine, and others.
Vendor Sales are another way Guild raises money to support the care provided at Sparrow. Guild coordinates with a variety of vendors to sell their goods to caregivers and visitors at E.W. Sparrow Hospital. A percentage of these proceeds benefit Guild initiatives.
How Guild Makes an Impact
The Guild’s Grant Program supports hospital department needs that fall outside regular operating budgets and supports a variety of requests funded through the fundraising activities listed above. Grants of $2,000 or more are awarded semi-annually. The awardees selected by the Guild are chosen from applications submitted and vetted through the Sparrow Foundation. Needs funded through these grants in the past include, but are not limited to:
- Patient Safety Sitter Materials for Float Team
- Sound Amplifiers for Sparrow Medical Group Senior Health
- Mannequin arms for IV start workshops for Nursing Education
- Color Printer and Educational Supplies for Population Health
- Caregiver Art Event for Pastoral Care
- SOGIE Inclusion Workshop-Graduate Medical Education
- Nutrition Food Models-Health and Wellness
- Upright Walkers-Rehabilitation Services
- Air Sim Bronchi-Pulmonary and Critical Care
- Care for the Caregivers
Over the decades Sparrow Hospital Guild raised more than $2 million. Outside of the grant process, the Guild has supported several larger initiatives including:
- Hospice services to help support and advance the care provided to those at the end of life’s journey.
- Thoracic Cardiovascular Institute (TCI) funding to purchase a cardiac nuclear camera for state-of-the-science heart care.
- A Living Wall in the Gathering Place at E.W. Sparrow Hospital to commemorate Guild’s 90 years of service.
- A diagnostic waiting room renovation in the Women’s Center.
- A waiting room renovation in radiation oncology.
- Pediatric and neonatal intensive care unit equipment for the children cared for by University of Michigan Health at Sparrow Children’s Center.